A small rant…
So far I have:
- switched to a Sonor Jungle kit for small to medium gigs, with a 16” bass drum, 10” tom, 14” floor tom, plus a 14” snare
- cut down to 2x crashes, 1x ride, 1x hi-hat (sometimes only 1x crash)
- Minimised hardware, utilising DW6000 lightweight cymbal and hi-hat stands (all hardware minus bass pedal fits in a 28” Hardcase hardware box).
However, I still need to bring some electronic equipment to most gigs – notably a Roland SPD-S (1 case), Mixer and Yamaha Clickstation (1 case), 2 microphone stands and 1 SPDS stand (1 bag), microphones, power supplies, extension leads and cables (1 case).
That’s 4 additional things to carry.
I can set up my minimal drum kit in only 15 minutes or so, but it’s the mics, cables and electronics that take the time.
Here’s the set up:
- Personal Mixer (for in-ears) – takes Aux feed from PA, plus direct feeds from the SPD-S and Clickstation for my personal mix
- 2x microphones to PA
- SPD-S – feeds to PA and my mixer
- Clickstation – feeds to my mixer
Whilst this sounds very easy (and, to be fair, is hardly a complex setup), it still almost doubles the amount of time I require to set up or break down my gear. Don’t get me wrong; I love using samples etc with the bands I work with, but it’s a pain in the backside!
Any hints on how to cut down even more would be much appreciated!